Tuesday, February 3, 2009

...I am wondering about FB protocol

OK, so you haven't seen someone in like, 20 years. And by the way this doesn't apply to anyone in particular, I'm just wondering. Anyway, you haven't spoken to them in 20 years, and you aren't even sure that you spoke to them 20 years ago. You remember them, but you thought their name was Sally, it's not, but are we friends? I'm not sure. Do I really want to see your cousins wedding photos where you are beating your sister to a pulp for the bouquet? I'm not sure. Just for fun, I picked someone to unfriend, I didn't, because I was given a dire warning from FB that if I did, it could NEVER be undone. What? That scares me. Although, if I do unfriend you, you will not be notified, I still get to be your friend, if you haven't already unfriended me, then neither of us will ever know.

I wish more people would use the send message feature. Yes, I would like to know what you've been up to since the Aquanet stock has tanked. But, on a daily basis? Sometimes not so much. Are you just a friend whore using me to up your own self esteem?

Also, let's just say that we're dating, and you do something completely dumb headed and I break up with you and unfriend you. Then it turns out that you were just being a guy and I was just PMSing and we get back together next week, can we REALLY NEVER be friends? What if we get married? Oh this is stressful for me.

And for the record, I'm very happily married, so all of this is hypothetical. Although I might consider unfriending high school friends who might have pictures of me so that my new friends can't see me, but I think they would still be able to I just wouldn't know about it. JK Renee, you know I love you, although you are working for the gov't aren't you, you are like connected with every person that every set foot in our high school and have the pictures to prove it.

5 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I love this. I've been pondering some of the same things. Like, for example, the people I accidentally friended when I first joined FB because they were in my gmail account and I accidentally missed unclicking a few who are practically random strangers.

And then there are the people with whom I apparently went to high school or college, who friend request me. Even though their names are almost always familiar, I have NO IDEA who they actually are. But since I went to a small high school and college, where ostensibly everyone knows each other, shouldn't I friend them? Even more complicated than that are those people who try to friend me because we WENT to the same small college, although we may have been 7 years apart! Aaaah!

It's all so complicated, and now I forget who I am sometimes. I may need therapy because of FB!

RRigdon said...

friend whore!!!! ha!!!

Susie said...

This is a hoot! I have so much I could add to this post. How about the 3 girls that won't add me, but are friends with everyone and their dog. Don't try to figure out who either. I know you could! Anyway, there is facebook protocol, but I just don't get it. I even have people trying to befriend me who want pics of my nephew. I feel so used. hehe.

annieology said...

Susie, you mean there aren't any Matt Prokop pictures on the internet? Oh, but they probably want the embarrassing ones only the family has?

Turns out third grade playground rules will apply forever.

annieology said...

ps Susie, I know of whom you speak, if it makes you feel any better I'm not a fan. Didn't seek to find out but I know.

Click this and I will send you flair:)

Add to Technorati Favorites

Followers

Cast of Characters

  • BOB - Born of the body children
  • BOTH - Born of the heart children
  • Roran aka Big Girl - 18 year old BOB daughter - recently booted from the nest
  • Big Boy - 15 year old BOB son
  • Radical - 9 year old BOB son who fyi is not RAD
  • Felpsy aka lil middle - 4 year old BOTH boy who is RAD and is the cumin in our soup
  • Booger - 4 year old BOTH boy, sib to Felpsy, Twin to....
  • Princess - 4 year old BOTH girl. Diva,