Wednesday, January 14, 2009

...it's finally working

As all of you who have been here for longer than 2 weeks remember, we have a college student, who is well, unmotivated. Therefore, we are not bankrolling her education. We have gently reminded her for years what the parameters of the ma&pa education fund. Of course we're dumb, you don't need more than $1,000 to go to live on your own, and go to school. Anyway, this summer we told her she was going to need to get her own cell phone, and she didn't. So our last interaction in the parent child relationship was us confiscating her cell phone and leaving her in her apartment six hours from our home. It sucked.

Well, her roommate had a cell phone, so, she didn't bother to get one. This worked well, until her roommate decided to transfer to a school close to her dad. So yesterday, when Roran arrived back at school, she had no roommate, no phone. I will admit to being slightly tempted to get her one, as I think it's a horrible idea for a young girl to live alone in an apartment without access to a phone. Tempted, but I either have to believe that God is or he isn't in control. Did I really think my supplying a cell phone to an unmotivated teen would change His sovereignty? Well, about 2 hours into the new adventure of her life alone, SHE WENT AND GOT HER OWN PHONE. Yes, a tiny miracle.

All this without ANY input from me. Or any $$$$$. This whole not being in control thing, well, it kinda sucks for awhile, but oh so worth it. One down, at least five to go.

2 comments:

RRigdon said...

Praise the Lord! Hang in there. ( I say, like I know what I'm talking about...with my elementary-aged kids....)

hsmomma said...

it is SO hard to let them learn lessons on their own isn't it? i try but occasionally I "fold" too. i hope i can remember your "bag of tricks" when my time comes to have an adult! :)

Click this and I will send you flair:)

Add to Technorati Favorites

Followers

Cast of Characters

  • BOB - Born of the body children
  • BOTH - Born of the heart children
  • Roran aka Big Girl - 18 year old BOB daughter - recently booted from the nest
  • Big Boy - 15 year old BOB son
  • Radical - 9 year old BOB son who fyi is not RAD
  • Felpsy aka lil middle - 4 year old BOTH boy who is RAD and is the cumin in our soup
  • Booger - 4 year old BOTH boy, sib to Felpsy, Twin to....
  • Princess - 4 year old BOTH girl. Diva,