I know, January 1 is a perfect bench mark. As are birthdays and other such annual affairs. This is where our lives closely resemble the politicians. While they are for education and lower taxes, we never hear the plan, and we never seem to get anywhere. We all want to lose weight, get organized, eat better, quit something or another. All very noble things, but each new year rolls around and we haven't seemed to make much progress. We're begging for another chance to do it again, and yet when we're "in office" the daily grind gets us off track. We just hope that we made some progress in our last term.
So, I don't know how much better I'm doing things as opposed to last year, but can definitely see where I've made headway over say five years and I don't even know 10 years ago Annie, what was she thinking?
The challenges ahead of me in 2008 are not the same challenges I face in 2009. I don't know what I weighed last year, I'm still looking for my keys, and shoes, and sometimes clean clothes. Things I did accomplish last year were
1. No more diapers, ever. We're done.
2. Saved lots of money. See #1. Also began extreme couponing and refinanced the house to a 15 year fixed. Saving us $67,000 in interest, and believe it or not lowering our payment.
3. Swore off credit, forever. (Still causes a little anxiety saying that one)
4. Released an adult into the world.
Some challenges are leftovers from years past, can anyone say LET MY BABIES GO? Is this the final year of fostering? Is the state ever going to let us adopt these guys? I don't know, it's pretty much out of my control. We have an attorney in place should they ever try to take them, but I just want to be able to decide things for my family without running to a caseworker for permission. I think I should be able to take the kids to a pool 20 minutes away without bothering a judge for permission to travel out of county. Of course we always do that, we never forget. I want to be done with all the paperwork. Do I really need to triplicate our daily log? Or document applications of Neosporin? It is quickly approaching FOUR YEARS people.
I do think we are eating better, having three year olds is less time consuming than two year olds. Therefore less freezer and fast food.
Is my marriage better? Than last year, don't know. Than five years ago? For sure. Same with my parenting and friendships.
(The trips are currently dancing in front of the tv, it's too precious.)
My dancing, maybe that's something I'll work on this year. I am for dancing.
So anyway, if you don't get it all together this year, you'll likely get another chance in 2010.
Cast of Characters
- BOB - Born of the body children
- BOTH - Born of the heart children
- Roran aka Big Girl - 18 year old BOB daughter - recently booted from the nest
- Big Boy - 15 year old BOB son
- Radical - 9 year old BOB son who fyi is not RAD
- Felpsy aka lil middle - 4 year old BOTH boy who is RAD and is the cumin in our soup
- Booger - 4 year old BOTH boy, sib to Felpsy, Twin to....
- Princess - 4 year old BOTH girl. Diva,